Ace or Ace-Chan (as we have nicknamed him) is a Miniature Australian Shepherd, Blue Merle, with one Blue & one Brownish/Grey Eye!
He was born on January 20th 2010 in Alliston, Ontario (Just about 1.5 hours North of Toronto).
He arrived at his Forever home to his new human mommy & daddy on March 10th, 2010!
Ace now lives with his mommy (me) in New York! Follow us as we start fresh and have adventures in New York!

Be our FUR-riend!

Monday, May 24, 2010

Ace's Update @ 18 weeks!

Okay, well technically Ace is 18 weeks until Wednesday, but I felt like doing the post now =)

Since we got him at 7 weeks on March 10th 2010, it's really amazing how far he has come!
I thought I would never sleep through the night again and there would never be an end to cleaning up paper misses! 
It is truly amazing to watch a puppy grow and develop. I never realized the changes with our family pets growing up. I feel it must be because he is all ours and he depends on us completely.
I noticed a lot lately how many people comment on how well behaved he is! When I think of Ace I think of a mischievous little guy who finds socks in places unknown, stashes pine cones in our house, digs holes, and flattens flowers.
We had friends over on Saturday for a get together and everyone couldn't believe he was only 4 months old! I really started thinking about it and realized how lucky we are that those snatched socks and a messy garden are nothing compared to some fur kid stories I have heard!

-Ace now sleeps until 7 or 7 30 (with an occasional 6 30 am wakeup)
-He goes to the door and barks when he wants to go potty
-He will lay at our feet and chew on a bone when we watch tv (instead of jumping and whining for attention)
- He stands still during bath time!
-His recall is about 98% haha

There are many other things he does as well that demonstrate good behaviour, and to some it may seem very little, but I know when he does these little things, it makes me so proud! In such a short time he has learned so much! It's bittersweet because he is not acting like a naughty puppy as much as he is acting like a little puppy gentleman, and it means he is growing up <3

The most recent thing Ace has been doing (which he started Saturday night after our guests left), I allowed Ace to stay up later than usual (12:30, he usually goes to his crate around 10:30pm, he loves his routine haha) He must have been very sleepy after all the playtime with everyone because after I finished cleaning the kitchen, I noticed Ace wasn't sitting on the rug in the kitchen anymore. My first thought was Oh no what is he getting into now. So I walked downstairs looking for him and when I got to our bedroom, there he was, sitting on the floor at the foot of our bed whining at me! 
Of course, I was immediately like "Oh goodness are you hurt?!?!"
but nope, he whined one more time, rolled on his back, so I rubbed his tummy.
After a few seconds of tummy rubbing, he stood up and walked RIGHT INTO HIS CRATE!!!! All on his own!!!
I couldn't believe it! The little booger waited in our room for someone to rub his tummy before bedtime!
 I hadn't realized at the moment, but before bedtime every night, I always rub his belly to calm him! So once his belly was rubbed, Ace wanted to go to sleep!
I was so proud, and no lie, he has gone into his crate on his own each night since!!!

My little Genius <3

haha Sorry about a huge post bragging about Ace, but I am sure you other fur kid parents who went through puppy training and development understand my excitement & enthusiasm about things as little as being able to sleep in a bit longer!!! haha


9 comments:

  1. It's amazing but also a joy to see a little fellow grow and get bigger each day. Ace is doing so well and grow up healthily. He's so smart and cute too. We're so proud of Ace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you have every right to brag on your boy. He is amazing, and adorable. You are a lucky mama! Enjoy!
    I challenge my mom almost daily to learn patience, he he. She is doing pretty good. I'll give her a A-

    ReplyDelete
  3. The belly rubbing story brought tears to my eyes...it's so sweet! He's such a good and smart boy. He's lucky to have such good loving parents teaching him good doggy behavior and being so proud of him for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a sweet story!! Ace is so pretty, ahem...handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good boy Ace is! Such a sweet story. You are doing a fantastic job with him. More pictures, please! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a good boy! He's obviously one very smart little fellow!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are very blessed with such an amazing dog!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello and great to meet you Ace!

    You sure are a really smart and adorable pup! We are excited to see you grow up and share adventures with us especially with Wai-Pai and Wai-Max who are both a little over 10 weeks old.

    Looking forward to more fun stories and cute photos.

    -Fudgie, Princess, Frappie, Mocha, Sugar, Wai-Pai, Wai-Max & the Piappies

    ReplyDelete